Saturday, March 1, 2014

A unique first night experience


          On the night that I arrived at my new host family's house I asked Mabel if there were hiking trails around here.  She told me that there were some by the school and offered to show me after dinner.  I agreed and thought that we were just going to be walking to see it but she told me to get in the car.  I had no idea what I was getting myself into!  What started out as a walk to the trails turned into a 3.5 hr. excursion that took me to her neighbors house, to two markets, the neighboring town, and finally to her aunts house where they were having a funeral service for a family member!  I must have misunderstood when she said what we would be doing, because the next thing I know I'm sitting in her relatives living room and participating in a Catholic funeral ceremony, or "reso," in Spanish!  I didn't have the slightest idea what to do or say, so I just sat there trying to look respectful.  It was very interesting to watch, and I was very lucky to have been able to be a part of it and experience this important aspect of their culture.  

No comments:

Post a Comment