Monday, March 31, 2014

Tech week in Chigore!

     Hey everyone!  I just got back from my tech week in Chigore, a town that is about 1.5 hours away from my host site in Santa Rita in the province of Cocle.  My TE group was there from Sunday to Friday this past week working individually with English teachers in schools.  I worked at a local primary school called Reuben Dario Carles Oberto with Solange Albaez, an English teacher who teaches both 2nd and 6th grade.  It was the first time in a Panamanian school and I learned a lot, the system is very different from what I'm used to.  All of the students wear uniforms, pray at the beginning of class, and have school for half of a day only.  I loved working with both groups!  The younger kids were so cute and fun, I was always covered in their stickers by the end of class!  The sixth graders were great to work with too because I could have more advanced conversations with them.  The week I was there, the school was hosting a Spelling Bee.  There were representatives from every class, and I worked with each student individually to study for it.  It was a bit tedious, but I learned a lot about teaching and have a newfound respect for teachers!  Here are some of my favorite pics from my visit!

 The students performed "un baile tipica" or a "traditional dance" for us when we arrived!
 They were so cute!
 This is Solange, the teacher who I worked with.  She's so sweet!
 A picture of one of the group shots I took of my second graders, they love making funny faces!
 They loved to give me a big group hug, it made my day!
   This is what my shirt would look like after a day with second graders.  Here in Panama, only the cool teachers get stickers ;)

1 comment:

  1. Taylor, I love the pictures with you and the kids! You look like you're having a ball and they look like they love you! I bet you'll make a great teacher :)

    ReplyDelete