Monday, March 31, 2014

Volunteer Visit

     After all of the excitement of Carnavales, I got to leave my site to visit a volunteers site.  I went to visit Rosie, another TE volunteer that lives Guarare in the province of Los Santos.  It is about 3.5 hours away from my site, so it was really cool to see another part of Panama.  Azuero is the name of the region, and the people who live there are very friendly and have a very diverse culture.  It is also one of the hottest parts of Panama, so that was rough.  I learned a lot during by visit about how I want my Peace Corps experience to be and got to see some examples of what life is like as a PCV.  I also got to learn about secondary projects that we can do in addition to teaching English, and I am very excited to start some in my own site.
     Rosie's site is  about ten minutes away from Las Tablas, a city that hosts one of the biggest Carnaval celebrations in all of Panama.  I was lucky to get there on the Saturday after Carnavales had officially ended to experience "Carnavalito," which is essentially an echo of the real Carnavales with the Queen, floats, bands, and culecos, but is a celebration more for the locals after all of the crazy gringos leave.
 Here I am in front of one of the floats!
 Los culecos!!!
 The band is not exempt from getting sprayed by the culecos!  They performed really well!

No comments:

Post a Comment